you can include me in the anti-1992 up MB list with Dan and Kleb. I have deliberately avoided these newer cars.

But I will admit in 7-14 years, or whenever they get cheap, I might be interested in the Metris (Vito) van as a replacement for Dogde. I suspect though, that I will probably stick with Dogde.

123 LUST:
Yesterday I had to go ~60 miles to pick up a lathe. On the way, I went past an auction. On the way back, I stopped to see what was selling. In the parking rows, I saw a pretty decent (100 yard) 123. It was a late model 300D and looked pretty well preserved. However some rust was beginning to show, but still for a 31+ year old car, it looked pretty good.

About 10 yrs ago, I was gonna dump the 240Ds to go with more modern stuff. But as I thought about it, the plan is to hang out winters in a warm place, then hang out summers as a Yuper. In either case, other than the trek from north to south and vice versa (likely made in the van to haul stuff) the only need for wheels is to drive to town (N) or odd jobs, or to drive around town(S) with an occasional trip of ~125 mi R/T. Add to that something that won't depreciate, and something that can sit in a garage for up to 9 months at a time, and the ironhead DIesels stand out. The 240D is adequate for a 25 to 75 mile radius, so it made sense to keep them. The white one is destined for S and the 81 is destined for N. 240Ds are simpler and easier to work on than even a 123 300D. The Quantum also did well sitting for 1-2 years at a time, then firing up and running all over the country, as did the Escort Diesel. But Quantums and Escorts are pretty much extinct. That leaves the 240Ds as "Ideal" for this use.

Mountain Man via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
August 28, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Thanks you Curley and Rick.
The objective is sinister. We want more lust for W123 since both Dan
and okieKleb are wanting out from W140 computer systems. $1k for
computer? - sounds like luxury german automobile poor-engineering,
whereas W123 still seems to be well-engineered practical wheels for
common folk and taxi.
mao

Rick Knoble via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
August 27, 2016 at 11:03 PM

I'll post a pic of an old one and a new one when I get home. Maybe I'll make a quick video....

Rick
Sent from my BlackBerry Z10?