      From: clay via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: clay <redgh...@comcast.net>
 Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 12:58 AM
 Subject: [MBZ] Rattle can paint job

I am having a fine time learning how to paint a car with rattle cans.  As days
flow by, I am taught all the errors I have executed.  I also get better at
making fixes to these errors.  Shaving the drips, better sweeping the spray,
gooder sanding with water as well as the soapy spray bottle.

I am getting closer to final product.  The green is a real PITA to deal with.
I am using el cheapo white rattle can as top coat.  Lowes $0.99 white gloss
that really seems to not cover for shite, but when sanded it is really smooth.
I think I have ten cans of the stuff, so will do multiple coats and sand
between.  One can did front or back, or maybe the whole top as one coat.  Right
now I am doing 1000 grit wet sand on the white.  Should I step up to 1500 or
2000?  I am thinking maybe final coats would be done with 3000 - 5000 step.

I have three coats of green down.  Last sand was 2000.  It takes forever to
cure.  Should I try to step to 5000.  I much prefer one stage paint over clear.
 Will this work or should I just go ahead and put a few coats of clear over
both green and white?  What grit should I use between coats if I do clear coat?

Opinions are welcome, I do not need scripture.  If I am able to do one step,
how long should I wait before trying to polish?  Do I begin with an aggressive
compound?

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei

retired models-
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers