I'm pretty sure a 240D in the 80's should have an EGR, but I'll defer to
anyone with more knowledge than I.  My '85 123 wagon (grey market) had
one.  Non-turbo 5 cyl engine, EGR failed open resulted in such low power
that I could not exceed about 55 mph, once that was "fixed" I could easily
exceed 100 mph.

Max
Charleston SC