I recently painted a steel rod for a project I'm working on with several
coats of black rattle-can spray paing over 3 or 4 days. A few days later,
I found the paint hadn't really hardened, so I thought of heating the
piece up with a hair dryer/heat gun. That didn't work too well and I was
concerned about getting the paint too hot in the spot in front of the
heat gun.

I solved the problem by putting the piece on the dark blue dashboard of
our '82 240D/3.0 with the front window facing south. That worked like a
champ. It heated up the rod uniformly until it was almost too hot to hang
onto. The paint is good and hard now.

Craig