HVLP means High volume, Low Pressure, as opposed to the old type that use high pressure air to atomize the paint, and thus make smaller droplets to ride the air further. The theory behind the HVLP guns is to use a larger droplet that does not carry as far in the air. Try the HVLP gun with solvent to see how far the mist carries. (solvent = paint thinner, etc)

clay via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
September 16, 2016 at 3:33 PM
I have a HVLP sprayer in a box on the shelf. I was afeared the thing would put out clouds of mist and speckle all the cars on the street while I tried to lay down paint. Best time of day for perfect conditions is from 0600 to 0900, before the wind picks up. That coincides with all the people getting into their cars and driving past my paint clouds. Once the paint is on, I have to drive down the way a few feet to get out from the shade cast by large trees across the street. Sun clears the trees around 0930 and lasts until 1800 or so. I may whip out the sprayer to do the clear, as that would give a nice broadcast over both colors with gooder speed laying it down. It would require much less taping, as I would only need to cover the windows.

clay