In the case of cars in hot places, do people get them repainted with a solid color after a couple years, or just drive around with the clear peeling? Probably, it depends. The old pickup does not get painted. But does the 2 yr old car used for business?

My only experience was with Livingston, CA and people there seemed to repaint the cars and trucks in a solid white. But that was maybe 15 years ago when clear was not as prevalent. Made sense to me, it you were going to live in a hot place...

G Mann via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
September 18, 2016 at 12:27 AM
Clear coat paint is a programmed failure. Mechanically, sunlight passes
through the clear coat, is reflected by the base coat, which is smooth and
reflective under the clear coat.. when the UV light is refracted back to
the surface of the clear coat, it is reflected back to the base coat,
because the surface of the clear coat "on the surface" is cloudy and the UV
light can't get out.. so it bounces back and forth, all the while
microscopically super heating the clear coating, which caused it to
separate from the base coat and fail...

Bad system design... Looks nice for a couple years.. then fails
progressively faster... By it's nature.. it "bonds" to the base coat.. so
can't be stripped as an individual coating...

In Arizona.. where clear coat failure only takes one year instead of two,
because the sun shines 353 days of the year..

Grant...

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 10:05 PM, clay via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

clay via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
September 18, 2016 at 12:05 AM
Gump had a massive case of clear coat Leprosy. I used a razor to cut away the really bad patches. I also did the sanding of edges to try to feather it in an attempt to get it to stop spreading. The stuff was resistant to my ministrations. I suspect there was a respray at one time and the coat was destined to fail. My suspicion would be that complete removal by sanding would give you a much better surface to begin with. Polei has a few spots of entrenched clear ( really small less than a folded dollar) that I sanded down the edges if I could not completely obliterate. I used 80 grit as a first phase, then went 100/150 then 220/320 before I did a 400/600 sanding, which ended with 800/1000 so that there were no hard edges or the stuff was gone.

clay

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
September 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM
I am going to look at a W126 tomorrow that has clear coat peeling on the roof. The rest of the car might be OK, so I’m trying to get a feel for what I might be getting into should I want to buy it.

As an interim approach, can the edges of the clear coat be feathered and just polished or buffed out so it blends into the surface?

I assume that clear coat could be reapplied to seal the area back up again?

Any paint enabled folks here who want to comment or make recommendations would be appreciated.