The early RPM Delo and later (Chevron Delo?) had fantastic solvents and
cleaners.
My first 1958 Beetle was missing on one cylinder (why I got it for $275).
After two weeks  with Delo in the CC, it was hitting on all 4 and continued to
do so for over 100K.
Years later when I switched to M1, the formula had changed; possibly for the
worse. If the Delo sat on the shelf for a few months, there would be a
precipitate in the bottom of the jug. I shook it up and used it with no ill
effects, but buyers who didn't see the precipitate may have been missing part
of the additives.
Years ago you would see cases of Delo lined up against the wall at the Wildwood
truck stop. Nowadays you see Shell Rotella lined up against the wall and only a
few quarts of Delo on the shelf. Do the truckers know something we don't know?
Gerry

> I had the oil debate over Polei.  I figured that all the extra pennies for
> full synth would not be economical in the SDL, and standard diesel oil would
> be fine.  The 20-50 is like hen’s teeth now.  FLAPS guy said the call for
> something that thick is waning.  Used only in diesels.  My response was of
> the DUH! sort, as I was purchasing Diesel oil at the time and wanted to know
> if the 20-40 was going to be good enough
>
> clay
>

> > On Sep 18, 2016, at 6:43 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin via Mercedes
> > <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would also be curious about comparing to Delo full synthetic which is
> > what I have been using in the 606
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On Sep 18, 2016, at 8:23 PM, Curley McLain via Mercedes
> >> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Larry,
> >>
> >> do you have any info or insight on how the valvoline full synthretic
> >> compares to M1?   I am curious if the base stocks are similar, and if the
> >> performance is similar.  I think I will use the Valvoline in the Merkun
> >> engines, but after the bad experience with castrol so-called synthetic, I
> >> am not sure I want to try  it in an OM603.   My 616s get so few miles that
> >> I leave them  on Mobil Dino oil.
> >>
> >> uhOh!  Nuther oel thread....

---