My HE washer (which I hate and wish I had not bought) works fine with regular
detergent except it has some sort of sensor and the wash cycle will take longer
because it washes longer and rinses more. I can't really explain it. It took a
lot longer to run through its cycles.

We gave the regular stuff to the kids and buy the HE detergent.

Donald H. Snook