While we're having oil threads I figured I'd toss out this:
Angie's '05 Golf has a notchy 1st gear shift. Particularly if you're rolling
backwards slightly when you put it into 1st it'll make a crunch noise. It
doesn't seem to hurt anything and is a common complaint on these cars. My '98
Jetta has the same transmission (mostly) but doesn't do the crunch.
The difference? My '98 has Redline MTL in it, hers has VW spec stuff. The VW
stuff is very thin, like ATF or thinner. The MTL isn't much thicker but
apparently that thickness makes a difference.
When I make the next oil change I'm going to put MTL in her car, I should make
a video and see if it makes a difference.
-Curt