2 years ago I replaced he transformers in the four tube light assembly over the
sink. The last few weeks sometimes one, sometimes two of the bulbs on the same
shared transformer didn't come on until I twisted one of them in its sockets.
Yesterday I found that just touching the glass in the middle of the tube was
all that was needed to make it come on. I've done that repeatedly and every
time the tube(s) light up as bright as usual.
The only thing I can think of is some sort of capacitance effect that lets weak
voltage/amperage from the dying transformer ionize enough of the gas to
complete the circuit.
The primary cause is probably the Chinese transformer from Home Depot since
neither of the new bulbs is affected.
Gerry

---