I bought some of the LED "shop lights" from Costco a few weeks back and put them in the garage. Those things put out some really good light, maybe more than the tubes, were like $25 each, come on immediately, are in a format just like the 4ft tube fixtures. They weigh nothing so easy to hang. I might get some more to replace the tube fixtures I have in there.

--FT

On 9/19/16 10:54 AM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
I have a similar problem with a 2 bulb unit in our kitchen, in our case I think
its the bulbs since they came with the house when we bought it 10 years ago. My
plan is to replace them with LEDs but since we almost never use the big
fluorescent fixture I'm also thinking I might replace the whole thing with a
much smaller fixture and move the big fixture into the basement. I'd still
replace the tubes with LED tubes though...
-Curt

       From: archer75--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
  To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "arche...@embarqmail.com" <arche...@embarqmail.com>
  Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 10:42 AM
  Subject: [MBZ] Strange effect
2 years ago I replaced he transformers in the four tube light assembly over the sink. The last few weeks sometimes one, sometimes two of the bulbs on the same shared transformer didn't come on until I twisted one of them in its sockets.
Yesterday I found that just touching the glass in the middle of the tube was
all that was needed to make it come on. I've done that repeatedly and every
time the tube(s) light up as bright as usual.
The only thing I can think of is some sort of capacitance effect that lets weak
voltage/amperage from the dying transformer ionize enough of the gas to
complete the circuit.
The primary cause is probably the Chinese transformer from Home Depot since
neither of the new bulbs is affected.
Gerry

---

--FT