Given a choice between buying stuff at home despot, lows or maynerds, I would still choose maynerds. If the founder of maynerds is an egotistical jerk, he is right there with Dead sam the walton without a mountain. Whoever runs lows and home despot are likely to be just as much of a maniac.

When I added on to the house, I bought from the local lumberyard. When I built my house (different one) I got what I could from the local yard, and the rest came from a small chain of lumberyards. I have to go 30+ miles to get to a maynerds, so they don't get much money from me. Lows is about 5 miles or so. We don't have amy good hardware stores, so most of the hardware store stuff has to come from lows.