I am dicking around with the dang paint on Polei.

Rattle can John Deere Rustoleum has been given the 1500 then 2000 grit.  The
doors are fresher paint then on the hood and trunk.  I wonder if I need to use
rubbing compound to get an even finish as a base.  The spray gave tiger
striping instead of a smooth coat.  Today I used Griot’s #1 polishing compound,
but it was not able to give me a consistent base.  It did begin to give a bit
of polish and shine.  On the El Cheapo Lowes rattle white the results were more
promising.  Still tiger stripes, but the shine was beginning to show.

I did the first coat of paint with an 800 grit.  Second was 1000, third (white)
was 1500.   Greens were 800 initial wet sand, then 1500.  Final for both colors
was 2000.  Three coats of green, the Good Lord only knows how many of the El
Cheapo rattle whites I sprayed.  I think I had a dozen cans of finish el
cheapo.  I used three rustoleum white base and primer in a can over the Rust
Fix stuff and the grey primers.

Should I use a rubbing compound to give a consistent base for both colors?  I
am not happy with the tiger striping.  A more professional spray application
would have had a wider pattern that decreased the opportunity for striping

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei

retired models-
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers