the former question is easier to answer.  we have population growth, both
from immigration and reproduction

as for how they afford it, it is beyond me.  my mortgage is for about 140k.
with taxes and escrow and the like, it comes to over a grand a month.  i
consider that a lot of money.

my house in a decent neighborhood in the NYC metro area or the valley of
silicone would be about $600k.  all things being equal, that would put the
mortgage at over $5k a month for pretty basic, albeit comfortable, housing.

so you are 60 grand in the hole before you pay for anything else to have
ordinary living.  how can people afford this?

there are railroad flats in greenpoint, brooklyn.   20 years ago, these
would rent for about $350 a month.  so 2 or 3 young people with low paying
jobs could get together and live very affordably in a nice safe
neighborhood.

same railroad flat today is about 2500 a month.  you make $250 a week
working at burger king.  the government will maybe let you keep $175.  you
do that math.