+1 on that method.  It took me a week of Tri-flow and the buzzy sander on the
key head to give me one last turn of the key on the R107.  Once fired up, drive
directly to a reputable lock smith

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei

retired models-
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers