To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "Floyd Thursby" <buggeredbenzm...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2016 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 73 years ago today

That's awesome.  I think you are pretty much a badass for strapping on a
Buff and flying into some nasty stuff, but these guys were even more
badass, not having "modern" gadgets and radar and sensors and such, and
flying beat-up patched-up planes on those missions every day.  Seems like
air war then was a lot less "stand-off" than it is today, again not to
diminish in any way the guys who do that stuff now but it just seems like
it so much more up close and visceral.  Just hearing some stories from my
pilot neighbor was hair-raising (and I have no hair!  Well, I guess I had
a bit then...).  I think I mentioned too, my uncle was on the USS Bush
that got kamikazeed and sunk, he survived after floating around in the
water for quite a while.  "It was just what we did" he says.  unh huh.  I
think he just passed 90yo and is still going pretty strong so I guess he
had some good mojo going on that day too.

BTW how are y'all doing up there with the flooding?  Saw some pics of
Kinston and around there and it was really bad.  Real bad down here in SC
in some places too, right now the rivers are flooding from all the runoff,
that takes several days to work itself down to the ocean.  Full moon high
tides this weekend are not helping.  Seems like it is even worse than a
year ago.

--R