Bob, explain this again?  How did you get up to the point that you could
use the abrasive cut-off wheel?  I think you said that you removed the
entire steering column?

I'm going to have a similar fight with the "95 124 Cabriolet, keys are
missing and the ignition tumbler / lock assembly looks like it has been
broken free of the steering column in a failed attempt to steal the car.  I
have the steering column from Wilton's '87 300D, plan is to install that
with a new tumbler matched to the VIN so one key opens doors and trunk as
well as operates the ignition.

Thanks,
Max

Max