you take out the clamp bolt and drill out a pin. then the ign lock comes out without a key. the YU tubes are full of videos about how ta duit. BW and those peachy guys have text.

Meade Dillon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 17, 2016 at 8:36 AM
Bob, explain this again? How did you get up to the point that you could
use the abrasive cut-off wheel? I think you said that you removed the
entire steering column?

I'm going to have a similar fight with the "95 124 Cabriolet, keys are
missing and the ignition tumbler / lock assembly looks like it has been
broken free of the steering column in a failed attempt to steal the car. I
have the steering column from Wilton's '87 300D, plan is to install that
with a new tumbler matched to the VIN so one key opens doors and trunk as
well as operates the ignition.

Thanks,
Max

Robert Massmann via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 15, 2016 at 9:22 PM
Abrasive cutting wheel cut right through no problem. Was very careful with the depth and only have several small cuts into the steering lock housing that will be hidden under the new protector sleeve. Tomorrow I will be putting most everything back together, as I have order new sleeve and tumbler set and they mount from the front and slide in place. I tried to use the tumbler from my 190 until the new ones come in, but after install, it would not turn to the off position to release the key.

Regards,

Bob Massmann
1995 E300D 448,000 miles

-----Original Message----- From: Curley McLain via Mercedes