Have you researched this?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1652194-permanent-tachometer-amplifier-fix.html#post5247399

<http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1652194-permanent-tachometer-amplifier-fix.html#post5247399>

Troubleshooting for the socket:

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/attachment.php?aid=2298
<http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/attachment.php?aid=2298>

This guy hasn’t been on PP for a little over a year (dead?) but if you’re a
member you can PM him:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/219949-om617a-tach-amp.html

<http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/219949-om617a-tach-amp.html>

There doesn’t seem to be an across the board end of all hassles fix for this.
I’m surprised that someone hasn’t dissected one of these and duplicated the
circuitry or figured out an alternative.

Dan