IIRC, on the VWs we just swapped out a 12V coil. It’s been 30+ years since I’ve
done one, so my memory is a little sketchy.  I don’t recall it taking a great
deal of work to accomplish, though.

That was back in the day when we would take scrap 0000 welding cable and make
it into battery cables.  That alone would make the starters spin so fast it was
scary.

What voltage drop?

Dan