I am not sure, but the TC could have done something like that.  I had drained
it as part of the filter change.  Put less than enough ATF in before doing a
big drive about to get the system hot.  Around 15 miles in 3.  When I got home
I put a few cups in to get enough fluid on the stick to hit the low mark while
the engine was running.   Rowed through the gears a few times to get all the
fluid around before and after the drive and top off.

clay