I use IMAP on the iPhone and POP in Eudora. When you check mail using POP it
"archives" the mail, which puts it into "All Mail" from IMAP or on the web
version. My gmail account has ~300,000 messages, so lots of mail. The phone
never craps out because it is using IMAP. The Mac never craps out because it is
using POP. Note that in this configuration, you will NOT have messages on the
computer that are sent from the phone.