That car won’t warm up significantly just sitting at idle in low ambients.  It
will be warmer than a cold start, of course, but he probably won’t have cabin
heat until he starts driving for a couple of miles.

I vote for the block heater.  Far more efficient and doesn’t waste fuel.  Have
him throw an extension cord in the trunk for plugging in at work.  And what’s
with that, after all?  It’s flippin’ North Dakota!  Doesn’t every place have a
receptacle for block heaters?  Seems like they did when I was there some years
ago.

Coldest place I’ve ever been in a car was Wausau, WI in January.  Was driving a
Ford Escort wagon with vinyl seat material.  Went outside one morning to start
the car to warm it up, and the interior of the car was so cold (I think the
ambient temp was around -20F) that the seat didn’t compress when I sat on it.

Brrrr

Dan who is looking at ambients in the 50s right now brrrrr