You didn't have to buy Windows. There were other flavors, some better and more
usable. But MS gutted the price at I think $99 and took the market. I first
used one of the early MS versions in order to use the Paint program. There were
so many neat programs available in the mid 80s. MS later claimed to have
"invented" them. Remember DoubleDOS (correct name?) and all the other beginning
"multi-tasking" programs? It was a fun and interesting time and you had to
"think" to make things work. Now we just expect it to work as a no brainer.
Just some more "stuff"....
Best Wishes,
Roger
Roger Hale