The Original WWII willys jeep was oversquare, and torquey. Not much hp, but stump pulling gears and torque.

High HP/cc engines tend to have low torque.

Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
November 30, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Back in the day, oversquare was the recipe for power. More rpm at equal piston speed, room for bigger valves. These days, they talk about undersquare being the recipe for low emissions and high efficiency, less distance for the flame front
to travel and less metal area exposed to combustion gasses and piston ring
friction.

Mountain Man via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
November 29, 2016 at 8:16 PM

The 3.5 has always been a covet car - was that a nice engine? 3.5
engine was "over square" or some special term to speak about
bore/stroke ratio? Tell us more about the engine and its performance?
You say it was boring? Thanks.
mao

Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
November 29, 2016 at 6:11 PM
Not to boast or anything, but I purchased a tobacco Brown 300 SEL 3.5 and
restored it so that it won several National Concours Awards. It was fast,
but a little boring as well. Basically, a 280 SEL 4.5 but a little
peppier and with a 4-speed transmission. Gelb is actually a lovely color,
but you wouldn't know that from the photographs.

On Nov 29, 2016 6:55 PM, "Jaime Kopchinski via Mercedes" <

Jaime Kopchinski via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
November 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM
I'd buy it for that if it were local.

But I already have a 109 that consumes money :(

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 4:28 PM Curley McLain via Mercedes <

Curley McLain <mailto:126die...@gmail.com>
November 29, 2016 at 3:28 PM
I agree someone needs to scoop it up. I think you, Andrew and Jaime should pool resources and scoop it up.