I did a write up of how a used a similar $25 junkyard compressor from a rice burner into the 10PA17 for the SDL. It is in the archives about 2006 or 2007

I had to reuse the clutch from the MB compressor. That was how I dealt with a leaky seal.

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 1, 2016 at 6:48 PM
Well, the verdict on the 350SDL’s AC is in, and the dye tells it all - leaking shaft seal on the compressor.

So I’m wondering how difficult replacing the shaft seal on one of these could be. I’ve looked at a couple of examples online and it’s certainly a straightforward job, the only real specialty item being a shaft seal protector, if that.

Anyone done a shaft seal on one of these, and if so, how difficult is it? I can’t see replacing a whole compressor just because the seal is bad….