A while ago I was looking at new macbooks to replace an original Macbook 1,1 and I was shocked to see there is virtually no improvement in processors in the past 5 years. Core i5 and core i7. More recently, I was looking idly at windoze laptops and see that not only are they still selling core 2 duo, but also Pentium processors are still on the new market.

At the same time, apfel has forced obsolescence of all core2, core 2 duo, and recently announced forced obsolescence of core i5 and i7 computers made in 2011.

I no longer keep up with all the developments, but it seems to me that the roles have reversed, and rather than having 20 yr old macs working and a 2 or 3 yr old windoze boz won't run the new windoze; now we have 10 or 15 yr old windoze boxes running and 5 yr old macs dead.

Its enough to make someone turn to penguins.

What wisdom/comments to y'all have about the current state of computing?

To me is seems stupid to obsolete macs that are far better than many of the winders machines being sold now.