So the only thing I found is the seal that the speedometer goes through the
firewall is mostly gone.

I imagine driving home in the rain, with the engine at interstate speed and
the water from the cowl vents, that drain RIGHT ABOVE the Speedo cable,
would let in a huge amount of water. I am guessing...

Kyle