I have a diesel Vanagon, the earlier style VW van made from 80-92. Mine's an 82, retrofitted with a 1.6 VW TD. It's a Westfalia Camper. Stone axe simple, underpowered unless you're used to a 4-cyl MBZ diesel, and probably the best-built, most efficient small self-contained camper ever made. A handfull in the wind, otherwise drives very nicely and is cavernous inside, rides well and will haul a ton and ride level while doing it. I love it.

Unfortunately, the Eurovan doesn't get such high marks, from what I hear. They're complicated and have a rep for being unreliable. The diesel is not made here. Too bad, as I spent a couple weeks touring the UK in one with the 2.5l NA 5-cyl diesel. With six people in it, it was difficult to keep "under the ton line" (100 mph) on the motorways, was spacious, and handled quite well. Unfortunately, the throwout bearing went out toward the end of that trip. The V6 is supposed to be a nice engine, but for the considerably money, you can probably do better with a honda or toyota.

Dan

Anyone have/had one of these?  How are they?  Is the TDI an option?

Think of replacing a Dodge Caravan.

Allan
--
1983 300D