That was Marshall's advice, and John Reames' too. I like the John Reames writeup even though it was originally for a 606. I sent Larry the version I have modified somewhat for OM603, but there is probably still some 606 residue left in the writeup. The seals, orings and spring are the same, so the part numbers are good. I have done it with the manifold off, but now mostly do it with the manifold on.

B100 melts out the original orings quickly. B5 weakens them more slowly, but how good was a 20 yr old oring anyway? Around the midwest B5 is common, as it provides a cetane boost for the crappy diesel fuel the refiners put out. And, B5 also replaces the lubricity lost in ULSD.
Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 22, 2017 at 6:04 PM
I like Peter’s suggestion about replacing the springs along with the O rings and copper seals. In older cars such as my 300D or 350SDL, I can see where the springs might be “tired” due to age and wear. I checked and they’re pretty cheap from the dealer - about $2.00 list/each. For the trouble of going in there to do the other stuff, it seems like false economy not to replace them.

Dan