      From: Max Dillon <dillonm...@gmail.com>
 To: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>; Mercedes Discussion List
<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 10:20 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: New gun

When I was being trained to go to the sandbox, one of the "capstone" events
(state-side, there was more training "over there") was shooting and moving from
station to station, shooting single hand (strong hand), two handed, and then
single hand (weak hand, left hand in my case) while walking, running, or
crawling between stations, reloading at least once.  I did this with a 9mm
pistol, about half the students had M-16 rifles.  This was in full body armor,
which weighed about seventy pounds, in July, in South Carolina.  Before we
could start the course, we did some jumping jacks, wearing the armor, carrying
the weapon(s) and ammo, to "warm up".

Anyway, my point is that while having all this "fun" I was really focusing hard
to (1) not shoot myself or (2) not shoot anybody else, like the other students
or the instructors.  I thought these instructors were either pretty brave or
really stupid, as they didn't wear any body armor, but ran alongside each
student to tell them what to do (for instance "kneeling position, strong hand,
three shots" or "crawl to next barrier ahead to your left") while we novices
with high powered rifles and pistols went through this.

Remaining still and shooting from a firing line is one thing.  Moving and
shooting is a much much more difficult thing to do safely and well.  Your range
did well to decline, if they had not trained or observed this fellow to make
sure he wasn't a hazard to himself or others.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC