> On January 30, 2017 at 7:28 PM Dan Penoff via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I think the NRA is OK as an advocacy organization even separated from the
> political aspect of it.

The NRA was founded in 1871 by military officers, and the chartered purpose was
to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis" in order to
prepare the draftee base to defend the country. General Burnside was the first
President.

The NRA started specifically promoting youth shooting clubs, high school and
college shooting teams, etc in 1903.

There are really two NRAs: The main body, financed by 5 million dues paying
members, sanctions shooting competitions, certifies firearms instructors,
provides liability insurance for affiliated shooting clubs, etc.

Until Harlon Carter became Executive Vice President in 1977 the NRA was
nonpolitical, but they did notably support the two major federal gun laws,
National Firearms Act of 1934 and Gun Control Act of 1968. (NRA leadership's
support of the GCA resulted in a minor member rebellion in the 1970s, resulting
in Carter taking the helm as Executive Vice President at the 1977 annual
meeting after a bunch of employees who supported Carter were fired in 1976.)

The NRA-ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) is the political arm, financed
by donations. This is the "Gun Lobby" you hear about in the press, people like
me donating our personal funds to the lobbying arm of the NRA.

Mitch.