Someone posted about this in the archives a year or two ago.

My money is on the rotor. The brushes wear the contacting metal off in a
thin groove around the rotor. This can be diagnosed by pushing upward on
the bare metal end of the rotor from below, which changes the point of
contact with the brushes and restores motor function, until you let go. It
requires a new motor.

On Feb 10, 2017 6:39 AM, "Dan--- via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

Buddy with a 300TD is asking:

> The blower motor has been intermittent on this car since I purchased it
three years ago.  If the blower did not come on you could wrap the dash and
it would roar to life.  About a month ago the blower stopped working
altogether.  I took it apart and installed new brushes and the others were
very worn.  However after reinstalling last night blower still does not
function.

> Even if the blower did not fire up, prior or now,  the AC push button
control is still sending a signal to the compressor as you can feel/hear
the compressor engage just no blower.  The tapping of the dash to make
blower fire up is what's throwing to me.  I guess it COULD be the push
button control.  Maybe it's a short elsewhere.  To be clear no matter if
you tap the dash now or not the blower will not turn on under any
circumstance.

Suggestions? I doubt the PB unit is at fault, but to be honest, I've never
had to deal with blower issues in a Type III ACC system beyond brush
replacement.

Thanks,

-D

Sent from my iPad