My old Dell W7x64 core 2 duo had become sluggish, probably because of stuff
running in background (like transcoding and backup tasks).  I was planning
to buy a newer box but I had some hardware compatibility concerns.  As a
stop-gap, I added a second 4G of RAM and swapped the 500G HD for a new 450G
SSD.  I'm not sure exactly why but the machine is pretty speedy now so I'm
keeping it until it starts going south.  By the way, I keep big files on a
NAS so the 450G SSD is plenty.