On the OM603, you need a big 12mm socket to take out the arm. I have heard the 606 has a different size.

HF sells a fan clutch wrench, that is a 3/8" socket drive welded on to 1 x 1/8" steel strap that is about 2' long. It comes with some wrenches, but you need your own stubby 8mm 3/8 drive socket. I have also used an old MB tie rod as an extension to a 8mm allen wrench. Take out one tie rod and stuff the wrench in.

3' of 5/16 fuel line is handy too. I stuff the end of the allen wrench in the hose, then hold onto the other end and use the hose to chase the wrench in circles to loosen or tighten the bolt. (works after you have the bold broken free.

Another trick is to have a hammer and whack the extended allen wrench to make it an impact wrench of sorts to loosen or tighten the bolt.

Removing the radiator helps if you have big hands or strong arms.

Max Dillon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM
Yes on removing shroud and fan, along with the fan clutch.

The bolt in the center of the clutch accepts an 8mm hex, if you can break that puppy free, life is good, but it can be a tough one. You need to clean it out so the hex bottoms and doesn't strip.

You may also need a strap wrench to counter-hold the clutch. On the OM603 engine, the water pump casing has ribs. The pulley wheel has holes near the center that you can reach from behind. Fit the biggest hex key you can find in one of these holes, the key against a rib will then stop the pulley wheel from turning, so you can loosen the bolt holding the clutch onto the wheel. I think this will also work on your engine.
Bob Rentfro via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 15, 2017 at 10:02 PM
What do I need to know for this job? do I need to take the fan and shroud
off? If so, what do I need to remove the fan?
I guess what I'm asking is where can I find the poop on this job?

Bob R