Curt,
When I got my Dodge, it was an off lease that had roughly 100,000 miles. It had
been run with dino 10w30, forget the brand. I switched it to Valvoline Maxlife
10w40 for engines with over 75K. Both main seals were dry and I wanted to keep
it that way. But I was tempted at one point and put in Mobil synthetic. As I
said, it did not turn out well, but switching back to Valvoline stopped the
leaks. I change oil and filter on the truck and both diesels around 3-3.5K
miles. The Escape using Mobil synthetic I change at 7500. It uses 1 to 1.5
quarts between change, burns some I guess and leaks some from the valve covers.
I asked the Ford dealership about running a thicker oil, but I was told the oil
ports in the 3.0 V6 are too small to risk running a thicker oil. I think it
uses 5w20 or 0w20, can't remember right off.
My 83 300D has a block heater, but being in the South, I've only used it once
or twice in 20+ years. For some reason, the 300D will start faster at colder
temps than the 300SD even though they have basically the same 617 engine.
Best Wishes,
Roger
Roger Hale
Dinnerware Classics, Inc.