It's time for the 200,000 mile service on my 2007 Saturn, so I've been buying
everything from spark plugs to cabin air filter to cruise control switches
(cruise had been getting progressively flaky for the last 10k miles, then it
shut down altogether after a commute home when I was lucky if I could keep it
on for half a mile at a time, turned out to be the clutch position switch gone
bad).

Mann, Hengst, Knecht, or maybe Bosch, how hard is it to remember your German
filter names?

So, what possessed me to pick that Mahle fuel filter from RockAuto when I
noticed it was half the price of Delco and 2/3 the price of the Bosch?

Saturday rolls around, and I get a generic looking white box with a MAHLE
Originals sticker on it from Mahle Clevite, two names I respected in previous
decades as reliable suppliers of hard parts like pistons and bearings that made
the crankshafts go round.
Inside I find a filter can with Made In China stamped on it.
For this, I paid twice as much as the Pronto part cost?

Mitch.
(oh, and the OEM Delco clutch switch fixed the cruise, after I cleared the
memory on the computer. The set/resume switch I got turned out to be tan when
it should have been gray, but at least I don't have to hit it twice to set the
cruise like I did with the 200kmi original)