I'm not going to get into tinkering with a virgin R12 system, as I don't have
the tools to do it.  After several attempts I finally found an adapter that I
could use with my R134a gauge set to check the low side pressure. I had one
very old can of R12 on the shelf I used a piercing type can tapper to run it
into the system, which did bring the temperature down slightly and reduced the
bubbles in the sight glass.

Beyond that I'm not touching it.  If I had decided to keep the car I would have
evacuated the system and replaced the R12 with "alternative" refrigerant and
left it at that.

The system is intact and not leaking from what I can tell. I suspect the drop
in refrigerant is due to the hoses becoming porous due to age, since these are
original and not barrier style hoses.  This is the condition it was in when I
purchased the car.

Rather than do something that would render the system nonfunctional or require
additional repairs, I opted to leave well enough alone so the new owner has a
point of reference to work from.

-D