Especially when it is a euro version. A 107 280SL will outrun the us versions of the 350, 450, 380, and possibly the 560 in american trim. Yuro M110 is a hot engine. (for its day) It is not a 2.3 cosworth as in the 190E 2.3-16, but it is NOT shabby.

A us version 300SEL is not far from a 200D automatic

It was drilled into our heads in the 60s and 70s: the fallicy, "there's no replacement for displacement" My first foray into German cars showed me different, and even before that, in HS, a guy had a Fiat Abarth that caused may stories to be told. That Abarth was what? maybe 1200cc no more than 1600.
Curt Raymond via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
May 6, 2017 at 12:21 PM
I always laugh when you guys talk this way, I remember people bemoaning how slow a 300SE is. It can't be as slow as a 240D auto...
-Curt