Thanks, everyone. Your comments make me feel better. I understand clearly that
a used car is a used car, and that stuff can break 10 miles or 100 miles from
where you got the car - or never for that matter.

I pride myself in being as open and honest about any car I sell and even if
stuff breaks, I still feel bad about it. That doesn't mean I feel obligated to
fix or make it right.  The buyer has to do their due diligence whether they
rely on their personal experience or get a PPI done.  I just don't want to have
to deal with the hassle of an angry buyer.

 I've really been lucky in that I've never had a car I've bought crap out on me
on my way home (yet.)  Maybe I'm just living right or I'm cautious enough to
know when to forego the drive and pay to have it shipped.  I know that fear
when you're driving a new to you car and something acts up or you hear a weird
noise - freaks you out and puts you on edge for a good 10-20 miles.

I'm going to ignore the request for a phone call and see if he tries to reach
out to me tomorrow.  If he does I'll see if he reveals what his motivation is.
I'll certainly help him get the bad shock replaced if he's civil. If not, the
door closes and he gets blocked.

-D