Get a little microcontroller (Arduino) and a solenoid and every hour or so have it tap the keyboard to wake it up!

--FT

On 6/6/17 9:33 AM, Jim Cathey via Mercedes wrote:
So, my saga to use a Mac Pro (newer OS, SATA drive sleds, GBE, faster) in
place of a G4 as a backup server continues.  I was able to strip the MP to
the point where the power draw is only 89 watts, which is still crappy
compared to the G4, which uses less than half that.

The latest thrust has been to pursue the Wake-on-LAN path, which sort of
works.  This is all supposedly built in, if you have an Apple device like
an Apple TV or router in your network.  (We do.)  Apparently, though, the
would-be-file-server has to wake up every hour or two in order to keep its
status refreshed in the Apple TV, otherwise everybody (like backup clients)
forgets where it is and it just sleeps on contentedly, forever until you
manually wake it up.  Our MP is apparently not doing whatever it needs to
do, and it loses its amateur standing at some point in the day, and
disappears.

Seems pretty stupid.  The whole point is that the thing has static
addresses and is just sitting there, waiting for requests for its backup
array, and drawing next to no power 24x7 unless you need it.

Bonjour?  More like au revoir!

-- Jim

--FT
Winston Churchill:
“Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or
petty,
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.
Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the
enemy.”