>From the source of all true news, Wikipedia:

The legendary L16 four-cylinder design is derived from the Mercedes-Benz
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz> engine Prince Motor Company
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Motor_Company> was licensed to
produce copies of in four- and six-cylinder displacements. By the time
Prince merged with Nissan in 1966 it had altered the design to where it no
longer needed licensing. The engine still resembles a Mercedes in many
ways, particularly the valve train
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_train>.

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Dan--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> I have heard stories about the Nissan Z cars having a pseudo-MB engine in
> them but always wondered how true this was. Is there anything that supports
> the claim?
>
> Just curious, as I worked on a number of them and would find it
> interesting to know that early in my life I was working on MB engines and
> didn't even know it....
>
> -D
>
> > On Jun 7, 2017, at 10:55 AM, Curley McLain via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > Nissan has always had close ties to DB/DC/D*(whatever it calls itself)
> to the point that the peekup I had was essentially a M120 engine, and the
> original 240Z was essentially a M180.   I once bought a 5 speed trans from
> a 280Z to see if it would bolt up to an OM621.  (it won't)  It might have
> bolted up to a W201 engine from the same era, but I never had one to try it
> on with.
> >
> > I won't be putting any ricer parts on a german car, but I have put parts
> from German cars on frods and Dogdes.
> >
> >> Ed Booher via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> >> June 7, 2017 at 9:25 AM
> >> Note to self, Nissan engine fits in bay of fintail. Now we can Rice the
> >> Germans. Got it. Now to find me a wrecked Sentra!
> >>
> >> EdB

"Das beste oder nichts." - *Gottlieb Daimler*