Since aluminum is the topic of the moment, I do believe I had some TRW forged aluminum pistons installed as part of the rebuild of my 440 c.i. V8. They would take some heat, wouldn't they?

Brian

From: Bill Gallagher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] MELT?
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 21:03:30 -0500

I don't know about alloys, but I think the melting point will be much
higher i.e. Al pistons. Al is good transfer of heat/cold
    Land Rover have Al body but the engine firewall is made out of steel
to protect from fire ...

    Next time in a junk yard, look at the melted/deformed Al parts of a
car in a fire......of course, water cools the heads and others, but a
car fire, nothing to cool the part, will melt/deform under the high heat

Bill
1981 300 TD