Methane is generated in digesters.  The methane is used to fuel generators,
typically driven by reciprocating engines that burn the methane.

I guess you could use it to fire a boiler and generate steam, but it’s pretty
low as far as BTU content so I don’t think it would be very efficient used in
that manner.

At least that’s the way I’ve seen it done.

-D