I think that Hagerty had the value on this car pegged pretty well.  They
insisted on insuring it for $5000.  I figured it was worth maybe $4000.
Considering the low mileage (126k), limited ownership, Florida car and
provenance in the form of original sales records, etc., I think these were
pretty realistic values considering that someone who wanted a really nice
example of the car without paying Classic Center prices would gladly pay in
this range.  Had it sold for $4000 I would have been pleased as punch.

This whole thing just devolved into someone who didn’t know what they were
doing making some very, very bad choices.  The blame has to fall at the feet of
the buyer, as this guy had clearly no prior knowledge of these cars and what
they were worth.  I firmly believe that he figured he could get in at the tail
end of the auction, snag the car for a reasonable price, then flip it.  After
having numerous discussions with him he clearly had done absolutely no due
diligence as far as the car or the market for them.

Add that to exuberant bidding, a la “I’m not going to let someone beat me out
of this”, and you’ve got a real formula for being upside down, as he now is.
There is no way the market will support a price that would allow him to profit
from the sale of the car, especially due to his inability to work on it himself
- he is not a mechanic and farms pretty much everything but the simplest work
out to an indie.

Lesson learned, hopefully.

As someone who prefers to buy at the top of the market due to the thought
process of “buy the best example you can afford as it will be cheaper in the
long run” I have no problem with the prices we’re seeing.  There will always be
bottom feeders, but for those of us who don’t want to drive a beater or aren’t
willing to compromise for a really nice car, you have to pay top dollar.  That
being said, you do it after having done your due diligence so you understand
what you’re buying and how to get the best possible deal.

-D