Just as a data point, my buddy in Houston (Dan bought his car) has had both hips done, he is 55. In college he was a nationally-ranked tennis player and on a full ride, so all that has beat his hips badly over the years. The last one he had done maybe 5 years ago, I'm not sure it was total or just the socket or something, but anyway he had both hips upgraded. He is currently planning to do a Portland OR -Portland ME cycling adventure next month, 3600 miles or so in 38? days, something like that. He has had his bike fitted to accommodate one hip range of motion. He has been doing 100 milers frequently these last few months, and spent a week at Tahoe riding the mountains. He is an animal, and says the hips let him know they are there but so far can handle it. His fear is he will not be able to finish the ride due to the hips, but is going to press on.

So, she probably doesn't want to hear that today, but it might be somewhat inspirational once she gets going. He is going to set up some sort of blog to track his adventure so I will share that once he gets going.

He has a 79 450SL in showroom condition, and had the S430 he pawned off on Dan, so he is in the old Benz fold.

--FT