Being both a lazy and obstinate fellow, I just now got the dash lights to work
in Allen.

I got her in Feb of ’17 and hardly drove at night, but by April I was out past
or near dark, and could never get the dash to light up.

I messed around with pulling the cluster and trying to make electrons go to
bulbs and screwing about with the rheostat a few times.  I really wanted the
thing to work the way it came from the factory.  Last time I pulled it was when
I had installed the aftermarket radio and got tired of replacing fuse 13.
Polei has LED cluster lights, I am not impressed, so would not do that with
Allen.  I did all manner of tests for continuity and if the bulbs even work.
Or if the bread board was ok.  It all came back as good, but for the dang
rheostat.  I decided summer was coming and I would not be out past dark anyway.

Today, I got the itch and was either going to end up jumpering the rheostat or
installing a chinee purple LED for dash light.  I went with jumper, so as to be
forced to use the LED as last resort.  Tossing on the bit of wire around the
posts was simple.  I put it back together, put fuses 12 and 13 back, and fired
it up.  Radio and clock worked, so no big screw ups.  Just needed to wait until
dark to see if the very dim bulbs would work.

Turns out they do.

clay

1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei
1982 300 SD - Allen

retired models-
2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored crap
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers