> Randy wrote:

> Seems to be hard to find a decent axe handle these days. I have
> looked in several places and they only have far eastern made
> versions that seem way to clunky for my tastes.

And covered with nasty varnish.  I have found the best way to get
it off is to scrape it off.  I started with my pocket knife, but
then reworked an old hacksaw blade so as not to be to abusive to
my knife.  After most of it was off, I used the belt and jitterbug
sander.  Once the varnish was off I was able to put linseed oil on
it.

Still it's annoying that I can't seem to find anyone who sells
bare wood handles.  I guess I should make some from the hickory,
osage orange, and locust that grow around here.