I mentioned earlier that when I received the 1990 300D/2.5 Turbo,
momentarily pressing hard on the front passenger's window switch would
open that window all the way.

I tried an experiment and reversed the switches side-to-side.

Now the driver's window is the one that automatically opens all the way.

So the function goes with the switch. I don't know why -- I haven't looked
into what causes the function -- but I'm curious whether it's something
in the switch itself or some ancillary circuitry in the rest of the car.

Craig