      From: Dan--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "d...@penoff.com" <d...@penoff.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 1:35 PM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] An oil question

The issue that you allude to that is somewhat of an urban myth is related to
severely worn transmissions that have a large amount of friction material in
suspension. That is, if the transmission is reliant on the remains of the
friction material in the fluid to provide some benefit to the clutches actually
engaging, if removed, will render the transmission non-functional or marginal
at best.

This is a really severe example and highly unlikely to occur under nearly any
circumstances.  However, it's the basis for the fear mongering over the use of
commercial flushing machines.

Flushing your transmission is no different that cracking open a cooler line and
letting it pump fluid out while someone pours new fluid in.  I personally
wouldn't do it for fear of running the transmission dry, but it can be done.
While I'm not terribly keen about the idea, I'll be using the drain and replace
approach to the E320 soon, as I just picked up a filter and pan seal from the
dealer today.  You can do this 2-3 times over a month or less and you will have
replaced the better part of the fluid.

And I definitely don't prescribe to the "sealed for life" mentality.

-D